Friday, June 12, 2009

It happens only with me!!!!

This article, was in my drafts section for a very long time (since 10/17/06), so let me publish it right away...

"It was on a sleepy working late night (a month or two ago), when I received a mail from the Training department on the list of trainings available for the next 2-3 calendar months.. I was fed up with work, and I decided to take a break by attending a 4-day training program. I opted for "advanced shell scripting", and was duly approved my manager the following day..

A month later, I had completely forgotten about the training, and I received a mail from the Training Department, with the Class Id of the Training,location of the training etc.. It was a product release weekend @ office for me, and I was happy that I will away from work the following week...

On the following Monday,I managed to reach the training room just in time, and as I entered the room, i realized it was not a computer ab but a conference room.. Was wondering how would one teach shell scripting in a conference room.. and then there were some pretty old people sitting in the room, and the title "Project Management Professional" was mentioned in the projector slide... I thought I might have entered a wrong training room, but didn't was to interrupt the trainer as he was giving an introductory speech. ( I had already interrupted him once, as I entered that room). During his speech, he had mentioned all our names, (as he done some background work),and only then did i realize some goof up had happened.
Well it was too late, and I didn't want to let everyone know about my mistake, and I decided to happily attend the training. I was the only non-managerial person in that room, and people were inquisitive on how I was attending this training (As it was meant only for managers/Project Leads).. Well, I told them, that I was to be promoted in the next cycle, and my manager felt that I need to get some training on managerial aspects..:) It was a fun-filled training for me, there were some business cases, and some worksheets etc. I used my own wits to solve the business problems, only to later know that they were all PMP'ly wrong solutions. I really wonder if any of the managers I have seen really approach the problem in a PMP way... Whatever, all I know is that I am definitely not the managerial(Applicable only to Software Industry) material...



Looking back, all I can do now is smile/laugh at myself!

5 comments:

Bijesh said...

why smile/laugh? Have you become manager worthy now? And what is that adjective pretty old people? Do you think you are still young?

And what's with this pista colour background???

Skely said...

@Biju: Well smiling at the stupid stuff i did by enrolling into a wrong training program. Ofcourse I am pretty young, do you want to challenge me for a walkathon or a running race?

It's not pista you dumbo, but it's the color "GREEEEEEEN".. Well looks like your brains have stopped working, ever since your better-half left india for her vacation at AD.

Bijesh said...

ok, then it's a horrible green :-P

Sudarsan said...

dai, if you are not a managerial candidate at software industry, are you trying to say that u a manegerial candidate at home ??

Preethika said...

Skels...way to go, this is one way to telling ur mgr that u're ready for his job!