Thursday, November 24, 2005

Superstitions...

Super + Situation = Superstitions. :) (Thanks to Gandhe who made me realize this...)

Never have haircuts on thursday as it would be very inauspicious for your uncle(s).
Never cut your nails after 6 'o' clock..
oh no.. never get any registration form on a tuesday..
Never should a group of 4 leave the house..

The above are the stuffs which i used to religiously follow until I left chennai..

Below is the collection of the superstitions i have seen my friends follow..9especially during the exams)

1) My friend used to have only idly with tomato ketchup as breakfast on the day of every exam.
2) Some Avoid bathing during the Study leave between exams and be fresh(having a bath finally) on the day of the exam.
3) Some wear the same dress for all the exams.
4) Some sit in the same lucky seat(in the college bus) where he/she originally sat for some well written exam.
5) I used to receive a call at 7.30 am, from my friend during every exam.. I believe that this brought him luck once, and I had to speak to him everyday on the morning of the exam.
6) I used to grow my hair for 2 months before the semesters, and have a hair-cut on the eve of the first exam..
7) A few friends came to my house during evey semester and study atleast 1 unit of any paper to have a lucky start.
8) My brother's friends come home, and get wished by my mother before the exams..
9) My ex-housemate hated me, when I aksed him where he was leaving for?
10) one fellow used to steal my 2-mark Q&A on the eve of every exam. (Later I had to buy another one once i figured this out).
11) another friend would enter the toilet with another fellow just before the exam..This was hilarious...
12) I used to start writing the exam only after my friend, who sat before me started writing his exam.
13) Couple of other friends would come home and we would play Cricket for the whole day, and then later put up a schedule which we would never ever follow.. Later this became a superstition..

I wonder how many such idiotic crazy supertitions would be revolving in this world....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont know whether superstition is a right word for most of these...

but, it is sometimes nice to be like that...if humans were to do rational thinking all the time, then it would be more like being a robot...things like these just add a little spice to life...

am sure everyone of us have some of these, and everybody likes doing it...

Skely said...

Gandhe,
Absolutely I agree to what you say..
I never belived superstition as a bad/evil thing.. It is something that is different than what you do in your normal situations..

Super + Situation = Superstitions.

:)

senthil natarajan said...

now after all these years... that sounds funny... dunno what all crap we are doing rt now? ha ha ha...nice one though

Anonymous said...

It is all in the state of mind. If you belive strongly about Raagu kaalam or Yama Kandam, then it is going to affect you. If u just dont care about these, and proceed with your work, everything will be fine.

There is a saying in Sanskrit "Yath bhaavam thath bhavathi" meaning - 'as you think, so it becomes'.

- sudar.

ck said...

cool one skely

Krish said...

I had one such...the same dress for all interviews!..but once I flunked the IITM MBA interview with that dress, that dress was thrown out!:P

DD said...

Skely, what about the super situations we create while watching a live crick match? When someone new enters the TV room and an Indian wicket falls, everybody's eyes would be fixed on the new person as though he was the culprit... hahaha.
And that reminds me of the blue team tshirt I, so happily and proudly, bought during the worldcup; everytime I wore it, our team lost though! :(

Karthikeyan Chellappa said...

Nice article Skels. There was a program on "History Channel" very recently about ancient superstitions and why people believed in them. It was very interesting, you would have enjoyed that. If its comes again, I'll let you know.

Basically, people believe in superstitions to have control and cope with the randomness that everyday life comes with. By following your superstitions, you guarantee (in your mind) the outcome of some situation.

Anonymous said...

Hi skelly can you fwd this to chellapa?...


chellapa,
How r u pa?...Hope you remember me ...who worked with you in oralce ...who used to praise a city as one of the 2 most ancient cities in India?...Your Blog looks nice so as your friends..I talked to Gandhi once he may be coming to NJ some time this month..planning to meet him ..How is life ?..How is Anu?...do write me if you guess who I am..
I got this link from one of my friends called Karthic who is DD's Friend...The world is so small isn't it?.....Hope you find me and mail me?....

warm regards
Yours ever friend
Ayyachamy Nadar P........ A.....


:))))

Skely said...

Excuse me.......

Can you give your blog id or whatever id you have???

Ayyachamy Nadar P........ A..... ----> you can also click on "chells" to cut-paste your comments..

Karthikeyan Chellappa said...

Ayyachamy Nadar Ponnusamy Ahilan

Skely said...

Hey Ahilan............

Coool Man..How are you and where are you now?
Indeed this world is pretty small.

Karthikeyan Chellappa said...

Skely, please let me use your blog this one time:

Hey Ahilan, your BEA email id doesn't seem to work. Hmm...some interesting developments I guess. :-) Pls mail me at justchells@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey guys ,
I am in NJ now, working for a small project in a small comapany called celgene.

how are you ppl?..

my mail id is meetahilan@yahoo.com

warm regards
Ahilan

sharmilaganesan said...

hey skely

this is sharmila here from the Times of India, Mumbai. I work with the Sunday Times and am doing a story on the same lines as this post (exam superstitions as SSC exams are on in Mumbai) and came across it while surfing for background. Found it really hilarious. Would love to know more about some. Can you provide a contact no./email id I can contact you on?
You can reach me at ganesan.sharmila@gmail.com
It would be great if you could reply asap.

Thanks a ton
Cheers
Sharmila